Monday, February 1, 2010

Family Home Evening



Let me start by saying I am not huge on New Year's Resolutions. I only make one or two, in an attempt to actually accomplish them. I also usually don't make them until a few weeks into the new year... I figure I have a better feel for the year by then! :) Anyway, I decided that this year I wanted to do better (much better) at having family home evening. Prior to this, I felt like it was kind of a waste... Wyatt was so young, he didn't understand, blah, blah, blah. However, I realized, much to my dismay, that he will soon be three and is quite capable of gleaning something from FHE.






So, tonight was week #3 for us. We decided to do Noah's Ark as our topic. Let me interrupt to explain that FHE in this house is NOT the formal event it is for many. The cute little charts that keep track of what each person is in charge of (prayer, song, lesson, treats, etc.) quite honestly make me want to puke. If that works for you, great! I need things to be a little lower key. We say a prayer, and then usually do an object lesson. I'm all for object lessons that create the treat we are going to eat as well!!! The more simple, the better! We sing as we mix up the treats, and call it GOOD!






Ok, back to Noah's ark. We pulled out one of Wyatt's story books he is familiar with, and opened the scriptures to the story of Noah. We started with the story book, then I read a few verses out of the Bible, and then back to the story book (the book stays pretty true to the Bible's account). Then we made an ark out of grahm crackers, filled it with animal crackers, and placed it in a bowl full of "water" ( blue-colored pudding). Wyatt LOVED it!






Here's our (sad) little ark with Noah and his animals. (Yes, I know the water looks a little green. You're more than welcome to try and make blue pudding yourself!)


Of course, we ate it, and Wyatt adapted the story's ending more to his liking. In Wyatt's version, all the animals drowned in the water, with Noah sailing his 'boat" over the top of them!


Anyway, that was our night! I'll be posting any fabulous ideas I have (which should be plenty because... well, isn't it obvious?), and I hope you'll all share some too!

2 comments:

Tom and Miriah said...

So cute! I think that's a great idea. As far as our family home evening ideas...for a 16 month old...we mostly just eat cookies. Lots of cookies. I have no idea why I gain 40 lbs when I'm pregnant and only deliver 5 lb babies.

dcalvin said...

I can't believe I almost missed this post, I thought I had been very vigilant in keeping up with you but alas I failed I believe dear one! O well at least I saw it before I left your blog spot completely. Great FHE by the way and just so you can get the puking over with I had to have one of those charts or I couldn't keep up with whose turn it was to do what and I couldn't tolerate the fights that would ensue with out it's structure. I love, Love, LOVE the new picture with the snowman by the way and the pictures of the boys playing with the ark are fab.

Love you bunches!
Aunt Nana