Wednesday, April 28, 2010

I am a blessed woman!

Like many women, I often find myself slightly frustrated with the differences in habits, priorities, and thought processes between my husband and myself. While I try not to let these issues obstruct my vision, I sometimes overlook what a wonderful man I share my life with. This past weekend, however, I was reminded.

We recently were in a position to obtain an item that would have been greatly beneficial for our family. The original owner no longer wanted this item and had asked a friend of ours to dispose of it. The friend then offered the item to us, knowing we could use it. We were thrilled! However, during a conversation while we were preparing to make the item more usable for our family, it became apparent that not only did the original owner have no idea that we were going to take it, but that the original owner would most likely not be happy about not being asked.This wasn't something we had really thought about. If we were in the owner's position, we would have loved for our unwanted item to go to someone that could use it. But after the discussion with our friend, we felt it was something we shouldn't broadcast. The secrecy of the situation immediately made me sick to my stomach, so we discussed our options.

There wasn't much chance the original owner would ever find out what had happened to the item, but I didn't feel right about it. We could have called the original owner, but it was already several days after the item was supposed to have been disposed of. William and I did not want to make things difficult for our friend who had simply tried to help us. So, that left the only other option of disposing of the item as the original owner had asked. I really felt as if there was no other option, but it was a disappointing option. We really would have benefited from keeping the item, as it would have solved a dilemma we had been working on for a while.

My wonderful husband listened to me explain my concerns, chief among them being I didn't want to regret keeping the item and feel guilty every time I used it. I also didn't want to see Wyatt using it and know that I had put him in a position to be using an item acquired by anything less than the most honest means. Even as I was explaining myself (and as I type it now), I could hear how corny I sounded. But that wonderful man I have been blessed with as my husband simply sighed and told me he didn't want me to feel that way, so he would take care of it. This was no small feat for him. It actually required some work to dispose of the item the way it was meant to be, but he did it so that his wife could comfortably stand by her convictions. He very easily could have argued with me. The item was being tossed, and the original owner didn't want it. Instead of arguing, though, he supported me.

I truly am a blessed woman. My husband works hard to take care of our family and supports me in those little moments when no one will see but me.

1 comment:

dcalvin said...

You are blessed and you have a wonderful husband and son. Thank you for sharing this with us and for letting us share in his goodness. Love you bunches, hope all is going well with the move. Love
aunt Nana