Monday, April 19, 2010

Ode to the Queen of Procrastination

I am, admittedly, a procrastinator. I proclaim my procrastinating abilities, for that is truly what they are, not with my head hung in shame, but with a toss of my head and a smile on my lips. It takes great talent and skill to pull together a final outcome of such high quality as I do, and I felt I should share some secrets of this unnoticed art.

To truly master the art of procrastination, you must fully understand the reasons behind it. Amateur procrastinators lack substantial reasoning skills and must be called as they are... lazy. Professional grade procrastinators, such as myself, find personal meaning in their sluggish design. Each must find his/her own drive. For me it is simultaneously the contradicting desires to plan and be flexible. You see, life has taught me that very little is a "given." Courses change without consideration to your goals, ideas, dreams, or plans. In that aspect, I have developed an appreciation for the flexibility my procrastination allows me. If I have not yet acted, I do not have to undo my actions when things change. In the same respect, allowing time for those changes gives me ample opportunity to plan for them. I can ensure doors are left open in the event things do not pan out as hoped for in plan "A." Thorough planning and reviewing allows me to then act more efficiently as the deadline draws near and produces a complete, spectacular outcome.

So, put those projects off a little longer. Spend a little more time planning and accept those curve balls with grace.

Now, I must go procrastinate my packing.

2 comments:

dcalvin said...

O my Laureena Fae, I know you did not learn those skills easily and I applaud you for your enthusiastic approach to such a delicate topic as this. You have mastered a skill and the understanding of that skill to a degree that many will be so extremely jealous of you it will be hard to know if they are your true friends or just someone who wants a better chance of truly becoming a procrastinator extraordinaire! I for one am with you baby, totally with you!!!! Love to all, and happy packing. Wish I were closer to help a little with both you and your mom.

Tom and Miriah said...

Ha ha ha! Oh my goodness. You are such a dork. I love it. Good luck with not packing...admit it. You're not packing right now. Love and miss you.