Friday, September 25, 2009

BUGS!!!

So, let me preface this post by admitting that we did live on base for 6 years, and thus became accustomed to the benefits of living "in town," including the reduced number of pests. However, I did grow up in the country, so it's not like I'm completely clueless about what to expect. And yet, I was completely unprepared for the plethora of creatures we would share our living space with when we moved out here. We had only been here a few days when I saw a six foot snake slithering across my driveway. It was just the first of many, most of which were thankfully bull snakes, and as large as they were/are, they really don't bother me much (the rattlesnake next to the porch was a different matter!). What I find the most difficult to deal with are the plagues of biblical proportions we have been experiencing!




First came the frogs. Our front yard had hundreds of them, literally. Wyatt and I thought it was fun at first to go and catch them in the afternoons. It quickly became unnerving, however, when we couldn't go anywhere without nearly squishing several frogs with each step we took! Then came the grasshoppers, which are still in abundance. I don't care for those creepy little insects anyway, but when they're large enough to actually take a chunk out of my leg, I have a serious problem. And don't bother arguing that they don't bite... yes they do. I know it.

See? Isn't that terrifyingly disgusting?!!! I HATE GRASSHOPPERS!

Now that we have moved on to flies, I've decided I've got to refocus my scripture reading so that I can prepare for the rest of the plagues from the story of Moses!

1 comment:

dcalvin said...

Ick, Ick and DOUBLE ICK!!!!! I remember when the ginormous mormon crickets passed thru our yard when the kids were little and crunching them under our feet as we walked out the door for anything, it took them about a month to pass thru and so I relate to this post all too much. Hang in there winter is on it's way and they will go away.