Friday, September 11, 2009

WHAT??!!!

I know it's been awhile, so my blog isn't exactly updated. I promise to get to that ASAP. However, I received an email this morning that left me nearly speechless. Now that I have found the words to describe my appalled outrage, I'm going to share them! :)

So, for those of you who don't know, I am currently pursuing my doula certification. It has been fantastic so far, and I am learning so much! The information is empowering, and I am so excited to begin attending births! Anyway, this current pursuit has lead me to seek out resources and connections with other individuals and organizations with the same interests. In a discussion forum email from my Birth Arts International discussion group (BAI is the program I'm getting my certification from) there was an announcement about a new technology being introduced into labor rooms. The Labor Pro and the Birth Track are two machines (nearly identical) that allow for continuous internal monitoring. While I'm not a fan of continuous monitoring, what appalled me most was the method used.

The company describes the technology as providing a "non-invasive" method of continuous trans-vanginal monitoring. What they consider non-invasive, however, is hysterical! First four small probes are attached to the mother's pelvis (not so bad). Then probes are SCREWED INTO THE CERVIX AND THE BABY'S HEAD! This is for the ENTIRE labor up until delivery!!! I'm wondering what exactly qualifies as invasive?YIKES!!!

There are so many problems with this! Let's name a few... increased pain, increased risk of infection, increased impersonal approach to labor, decreased mobility for mother, and further undermining a woman's ability to give birth on her own!!! AAAHHHH!

Of course, women may "refuse" the use of this technology. Anyone who has ever given birth in a hospital knows how impressionable you become to the hospital's "suggestions." Women shouldn't have to fight off something so horribly unneccessary and INVASIVE!!!

Alright, I'll get off my soapbox.

3 comments:

Tom and Miriah said...

I think your soap box is entertaining. You should get up there more often :0) Rest assured, I will NEVER let ANYONE screw something into my baby's head. If they've ever seen animal planet when a mama panther pounces on her victim and tears it to pieces, then they'll have an idea of what would happen if they attempted such a feat. Love you and good luck with your schooling!

The Lennons said...

Wow! That is very interesting, but horrible! I didn't know you were training to become a Doula! That's great! Did you know Melanie is a Doula also? I am sure she'd love to converse with ya about it!!

dcalvin said...

I too was going to let you know that Melanie is a Doula, she has been a wonderful calming influence for many young mothers in this area and a great coach too. I am so proud of you for pursuing and reaching your goals Reena Fae. I need to come and visit you, Will and your little man. Love to all of you. Aunt Nana